Substance use can be a coping mechanism for unresolved trauma. People with substance use disorders are deserving of being treated humanely and receiving effective culturally humble and compassionate therapy and treatment. No matter where you are today or if you have no hope, there is promise for a better future. Each day is a new day and each moment is an opportunity to make a difference.
As a therapist, I offer patience, kindness and can support you through your process of change, no matter where that road takes you and how long.
A couple facts you should know:
- People can stop substance use on their own without traditional substance use treatment.
- Most people do not get results from traditional inpatient treatment and in fact leave treatment feeling like a failure.
- Traditional treatment has not kept up with science and is not evidence based. Too often, people get sold on the 80-year-old Minnesota model anchored with the philosophy of the 12 step self help program.
- Although 12 step programs can be helpful to some people, they are not evidence based and not an end all to treatment.
- Evidence-Based Medical Assisted Treatment such as Buprenorphine or Methadone are effective treatments for opiate use disorder. These solutions can prevent cravings and can support people in living regular lives.
- Abstinence can be a goal for some people, but not a requirement for all people.
I offer confidential space where you can be open with me about your substance use and I will not coerce or force you to make changes when you are not ready.
|Addict||Relationship to substances|
|Clean/ Dirty||Negative/ Positive UA|
|Drug addict||Substance use disorder|